ROMANATIC DATABASE


Home

About us

Contact

Help





Support us


Comments
Nero
Dupondius, struck 64-66 AD in Lugdunum.
Obv.: NERO CLAVD CAESAR AVG GER P M TR P IMP P, Nero head, laur., r., globe at point of neck.
Rev.: MAC - AVG / S - C, frontal view of the Macellum Magnum, its domed central section (in two storeys and approached by steps) flanked by two-storied wings of unequal height, with porticoes; above the steps in centre, male figure stg. l., l. holding long sceptre.
RIC² 399 (C); Ro. (T.); WCN 498
Picture: Classical Numismatic Group

 Romanatic-ID: 1368

Comments
Simon Wieland
E-Mail

19:23:37, 08.02.2009
Note by Classical Numismatic Group:
The Macellum Magnum was Nero’s great provision market, probably dating from 59 AD. This magnificent structure, originally occupying the middle of a square lined with porticoes and shops, was located on the Caelian Hill. During the turbulent fifth century AD, the building fell into partial ruin, until it was transformed into the church of St. Stefano Rotondo under Pope Simplicius (468-482).